The Cincinnati State AAUP participates in various service projects. These projects are described below.
AAUP Kenneth V. Stoll Scholarship
Each year, the AAUP Chapter awards a $2,000 scholarship to a student who has demonstrated excellence while pursuing their degree at Cincinnati State. The AAUP scholarship funds may be used for tuition, fees, or books to assist the student in completing their studies.
Application criteria include:
- Fully-admitted, degree-seeking status
- Completed at least 16 credit hours toward the degree in classes taken at Cincinnati State
- Current grade point average of 3.0 or higher
- Not received a Cincinnati State AAUP Scholarship in the past
- Not a dependent of a Cincinnati State employee
- Scholarship applicants must submit an essay and letters of recommendation.
Preference is given to a qualified student who also has a labor union affiliation (self or family member) but union affiliation is not required to receive the scholarship.
A committee of AAUP members reviews applications and selects the recipient. The scholarship funds are deposited in a Cincinnati State financial aid account, in accordance with Cincinnati State Foundation guidelines.
The scholarship is named for Ken Stoll, a member of the College’s first graduating class. Ken’s career included serving as a Cincinnati State faculty member and academic administrator, and as an AAUP officer and bargaining team member.
Scholarship application materials are in the Library section of this website.
Recent scholarship recipients:
- 2015 – Nicholas Grieco, Pre-Business Administration
- 2014 – Sean F. VanHoene, Mechanical Engineering Technology – Design
- 2014 – Jessi A. Rebholz, Diagnostic Medical Sonography – General Imaging
- 2013 – Anne Turner, Chemical Technology/Bioscience (double major)
- 2011 – Ginger F. Popplewell, Health Information Management
- 2009 – Mary T. Connolly, Health Information Management
- 2008 – James York, Graphic Communications
- 2006 – Annette K. Wallace, Nursing
- 2005 – Antoinette Vogelpohl, Diagnostic Medical Sonography
College Faculty Sick Leave Bank
Members of AAUP Bargaining Units 1 and 2 can donate from 1 to 10 days of their accumulated sick leave each year to the College Sick Leave Bank. (A balance of at least 35 accumulated leave days must be maintained after days are donated.)
Faculty members who are retiring may donate up to 10 days of accumulated leave to the Sick Leave Bank any time prior to their last official day as a College employee.
Members of the units who require extended leave and have used up their own leave days may request days from the Sick Leave Bank.
Additional information about the Sick Leave Bank is in the Benefits article of the AAUP 1 and 2 contracts and here.
To donate sick leave days or to request time from the Sick Leave Bank, use the Sick Leave Bank e-forms available on the College intranet. (You must log in to “MyCState” to access e-forms.)
College Career Closet
In partnership with the College Development Office and the Cincinnati State Foundation, AAUP members are volunteering to staff the College Career Closet, which provides professional attire for students who are preparing for interviews and/or co-op or internship employment.
More information about Career Closet service opportunities is available from AAUP Service Committee Chair Andi Feld.
“Have A Heart” Service Event
Each spring, the Cincinnati State AAUP sponsors a “Have A Heart” event to focus on the AAUP Student Scholarship, to encourage donations to the Sick Leave Bank, and to highlight other Chapter service projects.
Past AAUP Service Projects
The Cincinnati State AAUP has sponsored College-wide drives to collect food and other donations for the Cincinnati FreeStore FoodBank.
Project Connect Quarter Drive
Project Connect provided Metro tokens for homeless children who are attending Cincinnati Public Schools. If children need a bus transfer, they often do not have the quarter to put with the token. The AAUP Quarter Drive helped children with transportation to and from school.